For the last few weeks I have been experiencing wrist pain in both hands. After some Internet research and talking to a friend who is an occupational therapist, I discovered that I have deQuervains syndrome. It is common among new moms because of repetitive movements...holding/nursing the baby, diaper changes, fastening all those snaps, buckling the car seat, etc. It has to do with the tendons that control movement of the thumb. They cross on the wrist. My OT friend came over yesterday and did some "active release techniques"...basically stretching the tendons. She's coming back tomorrow to do it again and will also be giving me some splints. I'm supposed to be taking ibuprofen and icing my wrists for 20 minutes 3-4 times a day. I hope it goes away soon because it can be very painful to just pick Stephen up sometimes.
Anyone else ever experience this?
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I have that too. I went to the doctor a couple months ago. I had wrist problems in high school due to flag line, flute and piano playing and shelving books 20 hrs a week. I thought pregnancy hormones had somehow brought it back on and then saw a blurb on the internet about it being "mommy wrist." Mine will flair up for a week or two after I do something that uses my wrist a lot but then it goes away and feels normal. My doctor told me to wear a splint at night so it is in the right position for 8 hours...assumming I'm getting that much sleep! :) It really is painful though. Moving the carseat handle is worst for me. But at least it's not all the time. Hope yours goes away soon!
ReplyDelete